Mhmmm, Mango


Back in the office, day 1 of 2 there this week. Isa finished digitizing fires for the Guam mapping project, meaning that we’re done with it! Ross, our GIS self-determined boss, said that we “burned right through the project”, a pun cornier than Kansas that I’m willing to bet he’s been saving up for weeks. That guy must be an owl, cause he sure is a hoot (you can start slapping your knees now).

After work got out we went to take the shuttle to the bus, but alas *someone* had slow feet and we missed the dang thing. Now, while this wouldn’t normally be an issue today we wanted to go to the farmer’s market and they do indeed have a closing time, which meant we had to haul ass, or at least try to as much as possible. While I voted that we wait for the next shuttle, which would be back in ~15-20 minutes, Isa had other plans. The shuttle takes us from the IRC past military housing, beyond the security check going into Ford Island and to our bus stop; not a far distance, but certainly not a casual stroll. “It’ll be fast” she said. “It doesn’t look that far” she said. Well I may have glasses but hot damn I wasn’t the blind one today. Hot sun, big rush and a journey out of the island ensued.

Thankfully we were saved by Paolo, the cool coral guy from the office, who was giving us an intensely weird look as he slowly drove past us while I was shouting at him to please save us. Literally, shouting out with desperation. Isa was entertained and I felt like a bad movie. Moving on. He had to pick up ‘the little guy’ before he could drop us at the bus stop so we got to meet his cute little son Makai (Hawaiian for ocean)! What an adorable boy, and Paolo only speaks to him in Spanish while his wife apparently speaks to him solely in her mother tongue, Nepali. Cue the jealousy here, as well as the spark for me & Isa’s in-depth bus ponderings on the valuing of language for children, our own abilities and what we hope we & maybe someday our children have in terms of language skills.

When we got off to transfer for the bus to Kapiolani Community College, which is where the farmer’s market is held, we had a bit of time & took a quick run to Don Quixote, bless that disastatastrophe of a store. Downside was that when we got back to the bus stop it took forever to catch another bus, so for ~a half hour we were majorly stressing over whether we’d make it to the market or not. We ended up getting there with 15 minutes ’til close, but luckily the Tuesday version is crazily tuned down from its weekend counterpart, with only 3 produce stands & up to 8 cooked food booths. There was live music though, which was nice. My find of the day was a bag of Okinawan sweet potatoes, which can help me manage my Noah’s Ark of flang-dangling chicken cutlets.

Tonight was low-key after running around chasing food, just making some pesto, some bok choy, a bit of matcha tea. I did get to cut open my Moby Dick of an avocado for guac & guac chicken salad though, which was just astounding in size. I put my hand in the pic for reference, I mean just look at this beauty.


Best part of the day though? The header picture: mango sticky rice with coconut cream on top. We picked up 2 from the market, 2 for $7 and we’re already plotting how we can hunt down and raid whatever restaurant made them. Those people are the true heroes of my day.

One Comment Add yours

  1. Patricia nagy says:

    Hi Elizabeth boy were you lucky to be saved by Paola tell your friend to put a little fire under her you know what next time boy that was a big Mellon love grandma


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s